The Mausolea & Monuments Trust

Scatcherd Mausoleum

A Gothick-style ashlar mausoleum built on a square plan originally conceived with four small pyramidal finials surmounting corner plinths at parapet level (the pyramidal finials, as captured in the photograph taken in 2002, were no longer present at time of resurvey in 2011).  Ashlar dressed walls with engaged corner pilasters.  Central doorway to principal elevation having pointed arched opening with moulded surround set within a larger ogee arch.  Moulded cornice to parapet having central panel to principal elevation depicting crossed torches.  Inscription plaques flanking doorway. The survey conducted in 2002 recorded a panelled wooden door though this was no longer present at time of resurvey in 2011 allowing free access to interior. Ashlar dressed internal walls having moulded cornice and blind quatrefoil opening.  Eight recessed inscription plaques set within round-headed surrounds.

Architect

Not known

Listing

Grade II (England and Wales)

Year Built

1750

Style

Gothic Revival

History

The Scatcherds were established in Morley by the end of the 17th century. The best known member of the family is the antiquary Norrison Cavendish Scatcherd (1780-1853). His works included a History of Morley and Memoirs of the Celebrated Eugene Aram (a man thought by Scatcherd to have been wrongly executed for the murder of Daniel Clark in 1759). The style of the mausoleum suggests that it was constructed in the late 18th century. Although it could have been built by Norrison Cavendish Scatcherd, it seems more likely to be the work of his father, Watson Scatcherd, a successful lawyer who was one of the trustees of the old Church of St Mary (demolished 1875). The stone plaques on the exterior merely say THE MAUSOLEUM OF THE SCATCHERD FAMILY and PARTICULARS OF THE INTERMENTS ON THE TABLETS INSIDE.

Condition

Poor. The condition of the mausoleum has deteriorated considerably since the initial survey of the structure in 2002. Features such as the pyramidal finals at parapet level and timber panelled door which had been present in 2002 have since been removed or lost. Scaling and delamination of the ashalar stonework to both the exterior and interior is recorded with some loss of decorative detailing. Significant levels of moisture ingress as testified by discolouration of the stonework and efflorescence of inherent salts and minerals may suggest failure of the roofing fabric (it should be noted the roof was not visible at the time of survey). The missing door facilitates free access to the interior increasing the threat of vandalism (2011).

Sources

Dictionary of National Biography;

W Smith, History & Antiquities of Morley (1876), 106, 112;

W Smith, Morley Ancient and Modern (1886), 231.

PDF

If you're visiting this mausoleum and would like to take this information with you, why not download and print the PDF using the link below:

Location

Churchyard of St Mary, 
Troy Road,
Morley,
West Yorkshire.

LS27 8EE

This site uses cookies to enhance and improve your experience when browsing. To find out more about the way in which we use cookies please read our Privacy & Cookies policy